Research and Education Resources
- Design, Biostatistics, and Clinical Research Ethics (DBE) Core
- The Design, Biostatistics, and Clinical Research Ethics (DBE) Core is one of 10 cores for the Clinical and Translational Science Institute (CTSI). The DBE Core fosters high-quality research by providing investigators with design, statistical, and ethical consultation. It pairs senior investigators with biostatistical resources across the University, and it provides junior investigators with the resources needed to develop competitive grant proposals.
- Web Teaching Laboratory
- The Web Teaching Laboratory is designed to help faculty transition their classroom-based teaching to the Internet. The laboratory has accumulated a multitude of capabilities for distance education. Its goals are to provide information technology for education and to enhance course offerings and distance education.
- Data Center
- The Data Center provides data management and biostatistical support for clinical and translational research projects. It emphasizes high-quality research in its provision of data management, database development and maintenance, and biostatistical support. Its Web designers and programmers provide Web site development and data collection via the Web. Its biostatisticians have expertise in a variety of areas, ranging from statistical genetics to longitudinal data analysis.
- Responsible Conduct of Research
- Learning about the responsible conduct of research (RCR) is important for all clinical and translational research trainees. The NIH suggests the following topics as a minimum for comprehensive RCR training:
- Conflict of interest (personal, professional, financial)
- Policies regarding human subjects, live vertebrate animal subjects in research, and safe laboratory practices
- Mentor/mentee responsibilities and relationships
- Collaborative research, including collaborations with industry
- Peer review
- Data acquisition and laboratory tools; management, sharing and ownership
- Research misconduct and policies for handling misconduct
- Responsible authorship and publication
- The scientist as a responsible member of society, contemporary ethical issues in biomedical research, and the environmental and societal impacts of scientific research
To help trainees and students on F, T, and K grants, the Clinical and Translational Science Institute offers a number of workshops throughout the year on a wide range of topics, including those listed above.