Research on Careers
The Research on Careers Committee focuses on the evaluation of the education, career development and success of trainees. Under the Office for Evaluation, the committee has created a sophisticated mechanism and rigorous follow-up structure to track the progress of trainees and scholars. It has also developed a theoretical model for the career trajectory of trainees and scholars and can help faculty members apply this model to their training programs.
The Research on Careers Committee has developed a theoretical model of career success based on data gathered from ICRE trainees over the past 4 years, published in Rubio et al., 2011.
Committee members have published broadly on the topics of education and career development for clinical and translational scientists:
- Rubio, DM, Schoenbaum, EE, Lee, LS, Schteingart, DE, Marantz, PR, Anderson, KE, Platt, LD, Baez, A, Esposito, K. (2010). Defining Translational Research: Implications for Training. Academic Medicine, 85(3): 470-475. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0b013e3181ccd618
- Dilmore TC, Rubio DM, Cohen E, et al. Psychometric properties of the mentor role instrument when used in an academic medicine setting. (2010) Clinical and Translational Science, 3(3):104-8.
- Primack BA, Dilmore TC, Switzer GE, et al. Burnout among early career clinical investigators. (2010) Clinical and Translational Science, 3(4):186-8.
- Kroenke, K, Kapoor, W, Helfand, M, Meltzer, DO, McDonald, MA and Selker, H. (2010), Training and Career Development for Comparative Effectiveness Research Workforce Development: CTSA Consortium Strategic Goal Committee on Comparative Effectiveness Research Workgroup on Workforce Development. Clinical and Translational Science, 3: 258–262. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-8062.2010.00221.x
- Rubio DM, Primack BA, Switzer GE, Bryce CL, Seltzer DL, Kapoor, WN. (2011) A comprehensive career-success model for physician scientists. Academic Medicine. 86(12):1571-6
- Moore, DW, Dilmore, TC and Robinson, GFWB. (2011), Advancing Knowledge and Research: Developing a Doctoral Program in Clinical and Translational Science. Clinical and Translational Science, 4: 359–362. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-8062.2011.00288.x
- Segal, JB, Kapoor, W, Carey, T, Mitchell, PH, Murray, MD, Saag, KG, Schumock, G, Jonas, D, Steinman, M, Filart, R, Weinberger, M and Selker, H. (2012), Preliminary Competencies for Comparative Effectiveness Research. Clinical and Translational Science, 5: 476–479. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-8062.2012.00420.x
- Lee, LS, Pusek, SN, McCormack, WT, Helitzer, DL, Martina, CA, Dozier, AM, Ahluwalia, J S, Schwartz, LS, McManus, LM, Reynolds, BD, Haynes, EN and Rubio, DM. (2012), Clinical and Translational Scientist Career Success: Metrics for Evaluation. Clinical and Translational Science, 5: 400–407. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-8062.2012.00422.x
- Robinson, GFWB, Erlen, JA., Rubio, DM, Kapoor, WN and Poloyac, SM. (2013), Development, Implementation, and Evaluation of an Interprofessional Course in Translational Research. Clinical and Translational Science, 6: 50–56. doi: 10.1111/cts.12024
- Dilmore, TC, Moore, DW and Bjork, Z. (2013), Developing a Competency-Based Educational Structure within Clinical and Translational Science. Clinical and Translational Science, 6: 98–102. doi: 10.1111/cts.12030
- Switzer, GE, Robinson, GFWB, Rubio, DM, Fowler, NR, and Kapoor, WN. (2013) Doctoral Programs to Train Future Leaders in Clinical and Translational Science. Academic Medicine, 88(9):1332-9. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0b013e31829e7bce.
- Robinson, GFWB, Switzer, GE, Cohen, ED, Primack, BA, Kapoor, WN, Seltzer, DL, Bakken, LL, Rubio, DM. (2013) A Shortened Version of the Clinical Research Appraisal Inventory: CRAI-12. Academic Medicine, 88(9):1340-5. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0b013e31829e75e5.
- Fleming, M, House, S, Hanson, VS, Yu, L, Garbutt, J,McGee, R, Kroenke, K, Abedin, Z, Rubio, DM. (2013). The Mentoring Competency Assessment: Validation of a New Instrument to Evaluate Skills of Research Mentors. Academic Medicine, 88(7):1002-8. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0b013e318295e298
- Robinson GFWB, Switzer GE, Cohen ED, Primack BA, Kapoor WN, Seltzer DL, Rubio DM. (2014). Shortening the Work Preference Inventory for use with Physician Scientists: WPI-10. Clinical and Translational Science. 7(4):324-8. doi: 10.1111/cts.12132
- Primack BA, Colditz JB, Cohen E, Switzer GE, Robinson GFWB, Seltzer DL, Rubio DM, Kapoor WN. (2014) Measurement of Social Capital among Clinical Research Trainees. Clinical and Translational Science. 7(1):33-7. doi: 10.1111/cts.12112
- Rubio DM, Robinson GFWB, Gilliam VA, Primack BA, Switzer GE, Seltzer DL, Kapoor WN. (2014). Characterization of investigators' approach to translational research: a qualitative study. Clinical and Translational Science. 7(6):441-6. doi: 10.1111/cts.12196
- Robinson GFWB, Schwartz L, DiMeglio L, Ahluwalia J, Gabrilove J. Understanding Career Success and Its Contributing Factors for Clinical and Translational Investigators. Acad Med. 2015 Oct 25. [Epub ahead of print]
If you would like to collaborate with the Research on Careers Committee, please contact us.