Interested students should complete an online application. Applications are due by 11:59 P.M. on February 28.
The items for the application include the following:
- Identification of a tenure-track or tenured clinical research mentor from the University of Pittsburgh. You are required to have an established, working relationship with this mentor through either your summer research project or scholarly project. If you are a first year medical student, we can help you identify a research mentor. Contact us to set up a meeting.
- A letter of support from your mentor (note: if you are completing this application during the first year of medical school, you do not need to include your mentor letter of support at this time).
- In the third year of medical school all CSTP students must prepare a 2-page research proposal (note: if you are completing this application during the first year of medical school, you do not need to include your research proposal at this time). The research plan should include the following sections/subheadings
- Specific aims/hypotheses (see here for guidance in development of research aims)
- Approach (succinct statement of design, relevant methods details, statistical analysis plan to test hypotheses; see here for guidance, including hyperlinks to reporting criteria, by type of study design)
- Timeline (include national meeting abstract and manuscript submission milestones)
- URL of NIH abstract of the mentor's parent study, if applicable (search here).
- IRB protocol approval # or plans for protocol submission
- A personal statement. Click here for an example.
- A CV. Click here for an example.
- Final approval from Dean Joan Harvey, MD prior to taking your research year off.
- Official transcript from your undergraduate institution(s).
For international students currently holding a visa, also complete the International Graduate Student Supplemental Form.
All University of Pittsburgh material should be submitted to the Institute for Clinical Research Education (ICRE) by 11:59 P.M. on February 28th.
Institute for Clinical Research Education
Clinical Scientist Training Program
200 Meyran Avenue, Suite 200
Pittsburgh, PA 15213